Old 16-01-2012, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default fuchsia gall mite

On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 19:39:41 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

Anyone know anything informative about this pest? I know it's been in
the gardening magazines and papers but apart from no known
antidote/control, the fact that in future people might have to steer
clear of fuchsias like they do begonias now and the fact that the mites
are so small you will miss them there hasn't been a photo of the damaged
plants or how to recognise it on your plants etc..
Many people who grow fuchsias seem to grow HUGE quantities of them and
hang them from every bit of their land and/or house. They'll be
devastated.
Does anyone know if hardy fuchsias will also be hit as much?

Janet

Extract from the RHS fact page on it:

"The affected plants were previously healthy hardy fuchsias that had
been growing in a private garden near Fareham, Hants, for about 20
years."

Which answers your question about hardy fuchsias.

The full factsheet is at
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=512

At the moment it's relatively confined in the UK but so was downy
mildew a few years ago! If someone's a fuchsia nut then I suppose the
only way they're going to protect themselves is by not buying in any
new plants but propagating from what they've already got.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.