Old 17-01-2012, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Ceanothus cuttings

On Jan 17, 9:10*am, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:
"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message

In article , Charlie Pridham
writes
Semi ripe cuttings will root under mist at almost any time so long as the
plant is not in flower, mist with bottom heat works best, plastic bag over
a pot method tends to defoliate the cuttings and is not normally
successful.
If you can wait they root quite easily in a cold frame over winter taken
about October

I'd love to get a mister I already have a heated deep sand tray. (I put my
stuff in straight into sharp sand and old compost seems to work jolly
well)
Anyway my question is: what is the best mister fro a small set up? Don't
want to spend umpteen pounds on some phenomenally huge commercial thing
but wondered if you had any pointers as to make etc.
The deep tray thing I got from 2 west's. But presumably you need a water
source or something?
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Janet & Tim

The units that LBS sell are quite versatile, I am afraid that its no cheaper
to service 1 nozzle than 20 (other than a few pounds on the pipe work) they
are about 150 plus pipe work, they used to do a package deal.
I originally set mine to run 17 nozzles but quickly reduced it to 8 and I
seldom have more than 5 on at any one time (shut off valves in the pipe
work) Those 5 nozzles provide all the plants for our nursery, some stuff
like clematis does not need mist so just has bottom heat.

Do bear in mind 3 important considerations
What will happen to the excess water
the need for edge of mist space for stuff that doesn't like full mist
the need for a weaning area, you can use the mist unit to wean but this
takes it off its frontline work of being a mist unit!

If you think that would be way over the top, check out "Dew Point cabinets"
and those small battery operated water valves, if you set one to do say 5
short mists a day it would be better than nothing although you may have to
play with the shade levels.

I was also given a unit that works on sun light rather than air humidity to
operate but I have never seen them for sale, I use this as a mister for the
big greenhouse so stuff doest dry out, I have never seen them offered for
sale and it is not very controllable but there is a lot less to it so I
would imagine it would be a lot cheaper

You may consider a proper mist unit a good investment as you can (as I do)
use it for seed sowing, and keeping everything going while away on holiday

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvshttp://www.roselandhouse.co.uk- Hide quoted text -

I wonder why mist is still so much in favour, I'd have thought Fog
would be a better system.
I remember seeing a fog unit at a trade show a few years back but
nothing realy since then, though LBS do sell fogging nozels, nit the
same as the unit I saw.
Much lower water output, so less chance of waterloging.
David @ the wet end of Swansea Bay.