Old 17-01-2012, 10:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Brambles/nettles

Sparx wrote:
Hello all, I am new to the forum and gardenening I have no knowledge
in gardening what-so-ever .... Basically me and the mrs have moved
into our new house but the gardens are terrible they was just full of
6ft high brambles and stinging nettles I have cleared all the
vegetation out so now it's just a muddy mess we want to get a lawn
laid down ... I was just going to dig the big clumps of bramble roots
out then rotovator it and level it out then lay the turf but my
father-in-law says if I just chop it up with the rotovator the
brambles will just come back so I've started digging it over and
taking all the roots out (Jesus you have never seen so many roots
it's just like a mat of roots) but when I told my uncle he says that
I should leave the new growth to come through then use a weed killer
like round up or something so the roots die so I don't really know
what to do I really want the quickest way ... Well actually the mrs
wants the quickest way possible to get rid of them so we have got a
lawn in time for our daughters birthday party so what would you guys
suggest?
Thanks for reading Adam

If by brambles you mean blackberries there is no eay way to do it. It will
take time, patience and probably several rounds of killing and waiting for
the next lot to come up. What area are you talking about clearing from
brambles? What season are you in now, when is the party?

David