Old 19-01-2012, 07:16 AM
Sparx Sparx is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird[_2_] View Post
Sparx wrote:
....removing brambles...

you won't get through those roots with
any small rotorvator.

you'll need a rather heavy plow with a
deep tine to get the roots out and likely
you will still have some left anyways.

the quickest solution is likely the most
expensive. leave the roots there, put in
a heavy weed barrier fabric and then bury it
with 12-18" of new topsoil. tamp it down a
bit and then place the sod. no chemicals,
no digging, instant grass and you're done
other than the mowing.

the most labor intensive way is to dig by
hand and pull the roots, this will make it
easier to fight later (the few roots you'll
miss will come back up, keep mowing them down
or digging them out as they appear). it'll
take two to three years for all the shoots
to appear and be removed.

the least labor method is to cut it all back
and keep mowing just like the rest of the grass.
eventually the brambles give up, but the cut
off stalks are tough on the feet (you can put
down a temporary dance floor for the event over
that section when the time comes).

songbird
Thanks for the reply songbird there isn't any grass out there at the min it literally was just brambles and nettles so it has got to be dug over anyway but I was hoping to just dig it over then level it and add topsoil anywhere that needed it then lay the lawn but I might do what you said and get a mini digger dig off 8" or so then lay weed barrier fabric then put new topsoil on top .... How much would 12" of loose topsoil compact down to if u used a whacker plate? I don't want it to be to high