Old 20-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Sinead90 Sinead90 is offline
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider[_3_] View Post
On 13/01/2012 10:17, Sinead90 wrote:
Hi all,

Ok where to start...my garden has never been sewed before and basically
i want to know whats the best process to sew the garden which will give
the best results. The garden needs rotivated(thats a definite), i then
read somewhere that i should rake it level,lift out all the big stones
etc, then compress it somehow(using a roller probably), then i should
rake it again and then spread the seeds out? Would this be the best way?

Also the area of the garden closest to the house tends to be ALOT more
waterlogged compared to the rest of the garden(which is generally good).
I read somewhere that rotivating it may help the drainage in the area? I
also read adding sand to it may help? Is there any turth in either of
these statements? or can anybody advise me differently?

Also when is the soonest i can begin this process and when is the
soonest i can actually sew the garden so that the seeds take best?

Ive been in the house a couple of years now and want it sorted for the
summer, I can't afford to get somebody into do it, therefore its up to
me to complete it. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!!

Hi Sinead,

You don't actually say so, but it sounds as if you want to produce an
all-over lawn from seed. Your general description of the preparation
(your 1st para) is sound. Having once cleared the site, though, I would
scatter a general fertiliser and leave it a few weeks, as this may
encourage the growth of weeds and weed seeds you may have missed.
Having cleared these weeds - there will be some! - you should finally
rake the soil level before broadcasting the seed. Sow the seed when you
are reasonably sure it will no longer be affected by frost. It may also
be worth your while to grow a couple of trays of lawn turf using the
same seed, so that you will be able to turf over any bare patches.

You *really* need to find out is causing the waterlogging in the soil
nearest the house. It may be as simple as soil compaction which can be
dealt with by double-digging the ground and, perhaps, adding some grit
to keep the soil structure open. However, it could be natural ground
water, or surface run-off, or damaged sewers/pipes. If this area is
always boggy then compaction is unlikely, as even this soil would tend
to dry out in summer. Do try and find out the cause. You could be
paying good money for wasted mains water or, perhaps worse, allowing
some form of seepage to undermine your house. I truly hope not, but
this is why you need to check. Have a word with your neighbours either
side, as they may share the problem or understand the history from your
predcessor's residency.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

What is double digging?

I'll try and find out what exactly is causing the waterlogging..dont want to lose time and moeny in the long run!

Thanks,

Sinead