Old 20-01-2012, 03:06 AM posted to rec.gardens
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Brambles/nettles

John McGaw wrote:
The one time I tried it with brambles I had pretty good luck attacking the
area with a high-power rented cultivator. There was a lot of shoulder
wrenching pain as the roots continually tangled with the spinning blades
stalling the engine and it took many stops and starts to untangle and
dispose of what got ripped out but a Saturday took care of it all.

you'd feel that for a few days!

This was an area of perhaps 40X20 feet at the very back of a property I had
bought. After the cleanup I had a large truckload of good topsoil hauled in
and I moved it back there with a wheelbarrow in thirty+ round-trips, graded
and packed it down a bit, and seeded liberally. That was the best part of
my lawn at that house and I never had a problem with the brambles coming
back. I suspect that any that started to come up were not capable of
withstanding being mowed down every week so they were never able to
reestablish a foot(root)hold again.

yes, if you can remove most of the rootmass
then the plant doesn't have quite so much
energy from the smaller pieces left to really
push up a lot of stalks quickly.

If only I could have such an easy time with the English ivy which has
ownership of at least 1/3 of an acre of my present wooded lot. It doesn't
die quite so easily.

yeah, that would be about as much fun as
kudzu...

songbird