View Single Post
  #4   Report Post  
Old 20-01-2012, 05:18 PM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Apr 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by David WE Roberts[_4_] View Post
Just bought some bulbs in little pots from Lidl.
The instructions on the plastic tags are in Euro-pictures and don't really
convey much.
For Hyacinthus Orientalis Blue Star:

Picture of sun - full sun
{Flower} IX-IV - flowering from September to April
Height 20-30cms
Knife and fork crossed out - do not eat (darn).

So any guidance to growing spring bulbs indoors?
Growing hyacinths is relatively easy - it's keeping them in good growth to flower next year which takes more care. Remember that in the 50's a common way to grow hyacinths indoors was in a hyacinth vase - a glass jar with a constriction. You filled the jar with water, and sat the bulb on the constriction. The hyacinth put roots down into the water, and used its own stock of nutrients to produce the flower and first leaves.

Therefore, I'd assume your chance of overwatering is slim provided you don't keep it waterlogged above the level of the base of the bulb. So try sitting the pot in a bowl of water (perhaps with a tiny bit of washing up liquid added) for a few hours. Balance a weight on the pot if it tries to float. Once the compost has wetted itself, keep it moist but not wringing wet.

After the hyacinths have finished flowering, continue to water and start feeding them. I'm not sure they're really worth growing on - they don't come back as well net year, they tend instead to look like rather brash bluebells. I tend to stick them in an out-of-the way bit of garden (of course, they might do better in a prime spot!)

As far as other bulbs go - daffs are easy, as are crocuses, but crocuses will give up any attempt to flower if they're kept too warm too soon - keep them outside, then bring them in when the flowers re ready to open.