Old 21-01-2012, 03:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_11_] Billy[_11_] is offline

Default Composting horse manure?

In article ,
songbird wrote:

David Hare-Scott wrote:
In my view whatever organic matter you can get locally and cheaply (or
free)
is always superior to what you may buy or truck in.

if it is clean, sure. however, i'm wary
of taking anything from a farm these days.
things aren't the way they used to be.
animals are moved around a lot more now and
there are more resistant diseases.

To all those who say that it is essential to compost manure before use, I
ask why?

ever hear of E.coli O157:H7 ?

This comes from CAFOs where steers are fed grains that acidify their
stomachs,

for children and elderly there is 6%
chance of kidney failure if infected. for
the rest of us it can mean bloody poo,
vomiting and other fun stuff.

this bacteria can be found in even healthy
animals with no obvious sign it is there short
of testing each pile of poo. it can take as
little as 100 bacteria to cause an infection
(in my opinion 1 is enough if you happen to
be really unlucky or are immunologically
under the weather).

and then there are the flesh eating staph
bacterias going around now too. a friend
lost his foot and it's very likely it came
from horse manure.

Again, it comes from CAFOs where animals are routinely given
anti-biotics. Washing your hands will go a long way towards cutting
transmission.

i'm sticking to green manures and worm
composting of green manures, that's about all
the risk i want to take.

A sound choice, but I hate to see perfectly good manure go to waste.

songbird

--

Billy

E Pluribus Unum

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.
- Dwight D. Eisenhower, 16 April 1953