Old 21-01-2012, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts[_4_] David WE Roberts[_4_] is offline

Default Bulbs in pots from Lidl

"Jake" Nospam@invalid wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 11:45:48 -0000, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

snip

The pot seems very small for three hyacinths, though - I'd be thinking
of a 6-7" diameter pot for three. If you can tease the "root ball" out
of the pot whole, replanting might help but separating the three to
plant further apart will probably do more harm than good. The compost
needs to be kept moist. Best not to put them on a window sill that's
above a radiator - if it's too warm, the flowering period will be
much shorter.

Try adding a little washing up liquid to the water initially or stand
the pot in water that's just off cold (there are drainage holes I
hope). I keep a bottle of wetting agent around (something called
Wet-n-Grow) for the odd occasion I need to break a compost crust. Not
cheap stuff but I've been using the same bottle for about 3 years and
it's still over half full.

I'll guess that in a 4"ish pot, they won't be worth much after
flowering - you could try planting them outdoors when they've
finished, as they won't do indoors a second year, and if they do
flower it's likely to be around March but they may grow blind next
year and flower the year after.

There are four pots - two are tin buckets (and there isn't a hole in my
bucket) and the other two are light wood with a plastic bag to hold the
compost - these at least seem to drain.
I intend to plant them out after flowering but don't mind if they take a
while to establish.
At £2 a pot they seemed a cheap way to brighten up the house during winter.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder