Old 21-01-2012, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts[_4_] David WE Roberts[_4_] is offline

Default What varieties of veg do farmers grow

"ZeroZero" wrote in message

No I am not saying that. But I am saying that (given the caveats above)
that often the varities are high yield and fast growing

Looke everyone I know there are pros and cons, but what I am after is
the names of varieties.

I grew some brussles last year - in excellent conditions - the sprouts
were few on the stem and did not grow large.
Buying a stalk from a supermarket its packed with large size sprouts and
they tasted fine to me

What was the variety?

Are you sure that it is the variety that is the problem, and not your method
of culture?
You would probably be better off asking gardeners near you which varieties
they grow.

This stalk from the supermarket - do you know where it was grown?
It may be suited to an area which has different soil, temperature, rainfall
etc. from yours.
Assuming it was grown in the UK.
It may also have been subject to a commercial regime of chemical weed
killers, fertilising, watering which did not match your attempt.

How many varieties of brussels have you tried, over how many years?
With how many different methods of culture?
It seems a bit simplistic to assume that you did everything right, the
conditions were ideal, so any failure must be the result of using the wrong
seed.

Assuming that there is a farm near you growing brussels, then why not go and
ask the farmer about varieties and method of culture?

If nobody near you is growing brussels commercially then this might be an
indicator that your area is not ideal for this crop.

You have given us very little information about what you did - area of the
country, soil type, aspect, varieties grown, planting time, fertilisation
etc.

All you seem to have stated is that the commercial brussels you have seen in
the shops are better than the ones you grew, plus the conclusion that this
must be because the farmers are somehow getting better seeds than those
available to non-commercial gardeners.

You may well be happy in your own mind that you have answered all these
questions before posting the query, but it is not helping us to help you
find a better vaiety of brussel to plant.

To reiterate - the stalk you bought may have been grown somewhere far from
you under completely different environmental conditions.
To use the same seed in a different environment will not guarantee you the
same result as a commercial farmer.

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]