Old 21-01-2012, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Dumper tracks in lawn

"Spider" wrote in message
On 21/01/2012 18:07, 'Mike' wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message
On 21/01/2012 16:30, 'Mike' wrote:
http://www.myalbum.com/Album-UXYIAXS...-of-Other.html

Propose using some of the compost heap to fill then seed.

Any other suggestions?

Mike

I would have thought that homemade compost material would be too light
and crumbly for a satisfactory lawn infill. You need something
loam-based. Better still, use soil from elsewhere in the garden so
that it matches the lawn soil in that area. Otherwise, you could end
up with two bold stripes of a different shade of green.

In some of your pics, the dumper tracks appear to have compacted the
soil, causing water to lie on the surface. You need to open up and
aerate the soil here before you start filling in.

Hope this helps.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

Spider indeed it does help. I did try at one point to rake and open it
up, but it seems quite solid. As far as 'elsewhere' is concerned, there
is no 'elsewhere', the whole lot, about 2 acres, being landscaped and as
far as possible maintenance free and more for socializing than anything
else, such as the 50th birthday of a friend in the barn last week. (No
photos of that but http://www.myalbum.com/Album=IKAF3YLN typical)

Thanks for your comments.

Mike

As you have found, something more penetrating than a rake is required. It
may be necessary to cultivate the soil to at least a spade's depth and
possibly twice the width of the damaged area. It is a big job.

This may be impertinent, but it seems likely that the damage was caused by
a contractor's dumper truck. Could this be so? If this is the case, can
the contractor be persuaded to 'help out' with the application of a
landscaping-class cultivator? Otherwise, I'm afraid it's just hard grind
until you have a tilth fine enough and level enough to seed.

Looking at your pic, it seems Christmas was celebrated in style. If the
same energy is applied to the garden, the lawn should be pure velvet by
summer! Good luck.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
gardening on clay

Something has got to be done with the wet here
http://www.myalbum.com/Album=4HVWX4UN like put a sump/trench/channel into
the pond or stream, therefore some earth 'will' be available to fill the
tracks. (Forgot about that problem)

Thanks for all the comments.

(That Christmas was two years ago but we did the same again last Christmas
:-)

Mike