Old 22-01-2012, 06:53 PM posted to rec.gardens
Notat Home Notat Home is offline

Default New Flower bed on existing grass area

rasik wrote:
Hello

I have created a new flower bed area running the side of my garden (20
meters on each side of the garden). The area was once grass and I had
someone remove soil and then grass. I still see bits of grass around
and it seems it been a bad job by the labourer. I will be adding 50mm
of new top soil but today I had pulled hidden grass roots. I am not
sure if grass will grow through the new soil.

I questions are;
1. Will grass grow through the new 50mm soil?
2. Is there anything I can do to the existing soil (bits of grass)
before adding new soil?
3. Are there any chemical based products that I can use to kill grass
and when should it be applied (before or after new top soil)?

Thanks
Rasik

Grass roots can be quite deep. A polo ground in California bragged that
their grass roots were over six feet deep. I'm sure that the type of
grass, the structure of the soil, and the care given the grass can all
affect how deep the roots grow.