Old 22-01-2012, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Poor broad beans

Baz wrote:
I suppose the only thing is to re-sow in the gaps, they will catch up
eventually. The ones you still have growing will give you an earlier crop.
How many did you have to start with?

Oh, I sowed them very thickly, as they were the slightly yucky looking ones
that I didn't want to dry and save! I don't go with this whole "only keep
your best for sowing", the best are for eating! :-D

On my packets of seed it says to sow them at 9" intervals. I find that 3"
intervals is far better. It costs more for the same length row but it works
for me, and if critters are getting some there are plenty left to grow.
It can help to sow some seed indoors to fill gaps.

I've got loads, I'll probably do a few more rows anyhow. It's just annoying
when the poor things have only just popped up.

On the plus side - calabrese and romanesco cauliflower are looking my best
ever at the moment! Must be the funny weather.