Old 22-01-2012, 08:34 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening
Bill Grey Bill Grey is offline

Default Metal theft. The biters bit

"The Grey Man" wrote in message
On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 22:58:17 +0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

I know it's difficult to sympathise with someone cut down by their
own criminal actions, but it's not a crime for which anyone is going
to suggest a death sentence is appropriate. So in the sense that
they didn't get a chance to serve their sentence and didn't get a
chance to go on to become reformed upright citizens, I do feel
sorry for them.

Are you for real?

It may well be a gut feeling for many to feel they got what they deserved,
and theft is a deplorable offence. We've left the days of "let the
punishment fit the crime" long ago. Nowadays, owners of dangerous equipment
such as high voltage overhead lines or underground cables, have to protect
the offenders agianst their own stupidity. The Electricity supply industry
near me had a primary substaton surrounded by an 8 ft high Lochrin fence.
This wasn't enough to prevent thieves getting in to the substation, so coils
of razor wire were installed inside the Lochrin fencing as were signs
warning thieves of the presence of the razor wire!!!

Not only did the thieves die, but the families, presumably innocent,
suffered a life long loss. This is the sad bit.

Bill