Old 23-01-2012, 05:43 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_11_] Billy[_11_] is offline

Default New Flower bed on existing grass area

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

rasik wrote:
Hello

I have created a new flower bed area running the side of my garden (20
meters on each side of the garden). The area was once grass and I had
someone remove soil and then grass. I still see bits of grass around
and it seems it been a bad job by the labourer. I will be adding 50mm
of new top soil but today I had pulled hidden grass roots. I am not
sure if grass will grow through the new soil.

I questions are;
1. Will grass grow through the new 50mm soil?

yes

2. Is there anything I can do to the existing soil (bits of grass)
before adding new soil?

dig them out or poison them, you choose

3. Are there any chemical based products that I can use to kill grass
and when should it be applied (before or after new top soil)?

Yes, before.

An additional issue is how will you keep the grass out of the bed in future.
Consider an edging that will stop runners and that you can mow right up to.

David

Cover the area with several layers of newspaper, or a layer of cardboard
before you add the soil.
--

Billy

E Pluribus Unum

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.
- Dwight D. Eisenhower, 16 April 1953