Old 23-01-2012, 08:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default I am now using an electric fence around my garden pond.

"Doug" wrote in message
On Jan 22, 10:27 pm, "Bill Grey" wrote:
"Bill Grey" wrote in message

"Doug" wrote in message
Following several attacks by foxes and invasions by the dog next door,
I have erected an electric fence around my pond. Visits from foxes
seemed to have ceased with the onset of winter. I don't know what
urban foxes do in the winter but the dog from next door is still a
nuisance and seems able to scrabble over even a very high fence.

I don't know yet if the fence will be effective but cats approach the
fence and seem able to sense the electrification. Anyone know if this
is so, can animals sense it?

Doug

Be careful, because, using an "electric fence" to keep out a
neighbour's
dog, or any other dog for that matter, may well be illegal in the UK.

We are not allowed to use "Electric Shock" training collars in Wales,
as
these are deemed cruel and are illegal- the RSPCA have something to say
about this.

Electric, or electronic fences (usually installed underground) are used
in
conjnction with a receiver on the dog collar. I assume you reighbour
wouldn't agree to his dog wearing such a collar for your convenience.

The right approach would be to get your neighbour to train his dog
properly - I suspect this would not be easily achieved!

Bill

Having read posts from Sacha and others regarding her webbing type
electric
fence, I wonder what the operating voltage etc these work at, are they in
common use by gardeners and of an approved type.

Perhaps Doug could describe the frnce he intends using.

I could have done with such a fence when my two Labs were alive.

My fence uses several strands of string with wires in it on plastic
poles. I am wondering how they keep electric netting from making
contact with the ground?

Doug.

Roll the bottom 12 inches up on itself, (or move the netting up 12 inches)
and replace that gap with a plastic netting

Mike