Old 20-04-2003, 01:08 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] pinus strobus backbudding!!

Jerry Meislik wrote:

Craig,
Congratulations on the back budding. Eastern white will back bud when
healthy and after pruning it back a bit. Generally the number of back buds
are few and far between. You can not count on them appearing in a specific
spot. Generally the back buds will be on wood that is less than 10 years
old.
You are fortunate, and talented, indeed to achieve this back budding.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5

Thanks Jerry. I'm pleased with the results. My hope was that the tree would
respond by being settled in a pot for a long time, to slow down the growth and make
it more compact. Someone in Massachusetts, can't remember who, told me that this
program was the way to go with white pine, and that it would take several years.
Fertilize the living daylights out of it, and pinch candles.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++