Old 20-04-2003, 01:08 PM
Dave

Default Natures Predictions

Weather is more complicated than that.

Jill Bell writes
I thought it was all to do with a butterfly flapping its wings in Hong
Kong?

(She asks - innocently:-))

Malcolm writes
No, no. You've got that completely wrong. It's Chile, not Hong Kong.

You're thinking about chaos theory, where a small change in one location
can have amazing knock-on effects at distant locations. Its a strange
branch of mathematics that explains why certain things can change to a
quite different state suddenly as a result of a small movement.

AFAIK the weather predictions are very susceptible to this sort of minor
event having unexpected knock-on results, though IIRC they make some 51
forecasts of how the northern hemisphere will change in any given day,
and then choose to report the pattern that appears 'most probable'. Thus
you now hear them give you probabilities for rain and so on. Bigger
computers, faster comms and more data have simply increased their
ability to do this within the right sorts of timescale.

However there are also books that will explain that local weather is
dependent on the feelings and moods of the people living there, and give
you chapter and verse as to how this works scientifically..... the only
problem is we do not currently have the means to investigate the methods
at this level of detail apparently......
--
David
when the sturm und drang of a