Old 25-01-2012, 05:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Two out of five rotting

On 25 Jan 2012 10:42:03 GMT, Kay Lancaster wrote:

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 18:11:40 -0800 (PST), Higgs Boson wrote:
I bought five of these (rather pricey) plants for planter box on my
front porch (N.facing).

http://tinypic.com/r/2i7yfb/5

They did fine until I noticed the far right one was turning black.
Now the one next to it is also infected -- or whatever is wrong.

Can't tell from the photo. The leaves look equitant, which means the
plant is likely in the Iridaceae or something closely related:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8701.html

Could be poor handling in the nursery, poor handling by you, poor planting
site, fungal disease, bacterial rot... I'd start by digging up the blackened
plants and examining the roots and leaves for signs of rot or infestation.

Gee, I don't know any answers either, could be this, that, or the moon
is made of cheese... so WTF am I responding.