Old 20-04-2003, 01:32 PM
Frogleg

Default A recycled water question

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 05:05:35 -0400, harry long wrote:

Anyone know what the maximum temperature water garden plants can
tolerate before being killed by too hot a recycled water from a
clothes washer ???

I want to recycle wash water but only on warm/cold and cold/cold
cycles.... since I'd use an automatic sump pump the water will be
discharged onto the gardens immediately.

This is an interesting question. Is it feasible to measure the
temperature of the water you plan to reuse? In spite of another
poster's declaration that he/she used water from a sun-heated hose
with no problem, that always seems too hot (on my hand), so I direct
the hose away from my flowers & veg until it's cooled a bit.

Another consideration for measuring temperature on discharge is that,
whiile the washer might be fed with really hot water directly from the
heater, surely it cools down a bit as it sloshes around in a cold
metal tub with the laundry. This sounds like excellent material for
a paper of some sort. :-)