Old 20-04-2003, 01:32 PM
Malcolm

Default Cats and Rabies

In article , Hussein M.
writes
On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 17:33:22 +0100, Stephen Howard
wrote:

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 15:16:16 +0100, (swroot)
wrote:

Mike wrote:

Someone has emailed me with the question, what happens if cats get
Rabies?

The way the vermin travel at will all over other people's gardens and
the countryside, and now an epidemic, how long before they pass it to
humans?

Be more worried about foxes.

And bats!

and rats

Rabies was the chief protagonist in the last nightmare I had as a
child which necessitated crawling into my parents bed.

Such a horrendous picture had been painted for me of the cure should
you catch it (you need to be bitten). Injections in the spine and the
demise, should it occur, breaking ones own by arching it with the most
excruciating pain - I was told.

Not a nice thing to put into a wee laddies imagination in order to
get him never to go near rats, dogs etc. This was in the Far East.

Golly! I think you were spun a frightening yarn. I've always understood
that if you were bitten, you were given a fortnight's course of daily
injections in the abdomen. The result of each injection was a large lump
that itched a great deal and it was necessary to get that lump down
before the next one, otherwise the discomfort was compounded. For that
reason the injections were given on alternate sides to allow you two
days to get it down, which was achieved by one of your servants (this
was India between the wars) rolling a bottle filled with very cold water
on the lump for hours at a time.

--
Malcolm