Old 26-01-2012, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Peace Lily repotting

On 26 Jan 2012 11:52:21 GMT, "CT" wrote:

'Er indoors has a Peace Lily in a pot and it is one of the few indoor
plants we have which is doing quite well. Finding a spot that a plant
likes isn't always as easy as one would like.

Anyway, as it's doing so well it needs repotting. I said "just repot
it in a bigger pot and bung in some more compost" but apparently that's
not official enough for her.

So, any special advice for repotting? It looks like it's just finished
flowering for the time being (several dead flowers, no new buds) so I
thought it would be an ideal time.

You can repot the plant in spring using a loam based compost or decent
houseplant compost, not just any old multi-purpose! (Is that official
enough?).

Thinking about Vicky's plant, the compost needs to be kept moist at
all times though over watering is just as bad, especially in winter
when you should water sparingly. The leaves should be misted regularly
throughout the year. During the summer it should be kept semi-shaded
but needs bright light through the winter.

I had one but it went brown and died - that's how I learned about its
need for a humid atmosphere. I was told the best way to grow one was
in a pot standing on a pebble tray that is kept filled with water (the
pot containing the plant is held above the water by the pebbles).

Interesting fact for Kathy - it's also called a "clean air plant" as
it has the ability to absorb nasty things from the air such as
chemicals in cigarette smoke.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay where
the four seasons are salt,pepper,mustard and vinegar.