Old 27-01-2012, 02:53 PM
Doghouse Riley's Avatar
Doghouse Riley Doghouse Riley is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Time has come to put a shed in our small garden for storage and
occasional whittling. 8x6 should do it nicely and this style looks just
the job:

Shiplap Apex Shed | Apex Garden Sheds

Couple of questions:

There seems to be quite a range in price and specification. Local garden
centres (Derbyshire) are roughly double, for example, although these
include assembly. On which:

How difficult are these to assemble? All looks quite straightforward to
me from the guides.

Thanks, Rob
It's going to cost about £100 to assemble any shed I'd think.

Most DIY sheds are pretty easy to assemble, It's the base you need to be careful about, best to get some ex-council flags (they are getting rid of these on pavements and replacing them with tarmac) and make a "square" about a foot wider than the shed. You must make sure the base is level, though I'd have a "fall" of about an inch across them so there's no chance of standing water. They rot from the ground up.

You can't tell the quality of the wood from a webpage. Unless you really look after them they soon deteriorate.
The roofing felt supplied is usually rubbish, best to cover it after a year or so, with a non-tear heavy duty variety, you won't find it in the DIY sheds.

Why not build your own?

I built mine from 3"X2" and roofing ply, plus three recycled windows. It sits on brick piers six inches above the ground, to let air get under it. So no rot.

This is it last summer, it's now 35 years old.

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/8215/p1020413pb.jpg

Then I got more adventurous and built this, photographed last year, it's only 26 years old. This again is six inches off the ground, the "skirts" are just ornamentation.

http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/2610/p1030157f.jpg

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/5527/p1030158mh.jpg
"I don't mind if you don't like my manners!
I don't like 'em myself! They're pretty bad.
I grieve over them on long winter evenings."