Old 27-01-2012, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Indoor plant pest

On 27/01/2012 11:12, Martin Brown wrote:
wrote:
I trimmed back a miniature rose in a pot yesterday, and noticed it had tiny
little creepy things, about 0.5mm long, and webbing. Are they spider mites?
They're very pale/white, I thought spider mite were red.

Red spider mite are at most pale orange and often so small you cannot
even determine the colour without a magnifying glass. Misting with water
and/or a systemic insecticide will probably see them off. They are only
a serious problem indoors and under glass. Outside is too harsh for
them. You are a bit up against it effective controls have been banned.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...D=190#section3

Plant pins or Provado to kill rsm

IME both the above are unfortunately useless against RSM. The only
effective product I have found available to the amateur is Westland
Plant Rescue Bug Killer Ornamental Plants Ready To Use. Note that this
contains Thiamethoxam & Abamectin. It is the latter which is active
against RSM. Do not be tempted to buy the concentrate, as this contains
only Thiamethoxam. You may have to spray several times at weekly
intervals as it is not effective against RSM eggs, only the mites
themselves.

--

Jeff