Old 28-01-2012, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Balcony watering?

On 28/01/2012 14:59, Dave Hill wrote:
On Jan 28, 1:37 pm, Timothy wrote:
I have a fairly large balcony in Italy,
with table and chairs on it,
and my wife wants to put several large pot-plants there.
I'm wondering about the best way to keep them damp
during our absence?

The balcony is off the kitchen, so I could (possibly)
get an outdoor tap on the balcony,
and some sort of automatic watering system.
(We have a Hozelock automatic system in the small garden,
which works perfectly.)

But is there any other, simpler, solution?

I am wondering if your balcony is strong enough to take the extra
weight of several large pot-plants
If they are in large pots then they could be heavy, best to keep them
close to the building to reduce the stress.

Agreed. They may not look as good, but this is a place for plastic pots
to be used, not terracotta or other weighty material.

Hozelock automatic system sounds the best bet or a neighbour to water
as required.

As far as watering is concerned, another option is to use gel crystals
in the compost at a somewhat higher proportion than is recommended if
you expect to be away for some time.

--

Jeff