Old 29-01-2012, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Doug[_5_] Doug[_5_] is offline

Default I am now using an electric fence around my garden pond.

On 2012-01-23 08:05:29 +0000, Doug said:

On Jan 22, 8:58*pm, "Bill Grey" wrote:
"Doug" wrote in message

.

..

Following several attacks by foxes and invasions by the dog next door

,
I have erected an electric fence around my pond. Visits from foxes
seemed to have ceased with the onset of winter. I don't know what
urban foxes do in the winter but the dog from next door is still a
nuisance and seems able to scrabble over even a very high fence.

I don't know yet if the fence will be effective but cats approach the
fence and seem able to sense the electrification. Anyone know if this
is so, can animals sense it?

Doug

Be careful, because, using an *"electric fence" to keep out a neighb

our
's
dog, or any other dog for that matter, may well be illegal in the UK..

We are not allowed to use "Electric Shock" training collars in Wales,

as
these are deemed cruel and are illegal- the RSPCA have something to sa

about this.

Electric, or electronic fences (usually installed underground) are use

d i
conjnction with a receiver on the dog collar. *I assume you reighbou

wouldn't agree to his dog wearing such a collar for your convenience..

The right approach would be to get your neighbour to train his dog
properly - I suspect this would not be easily achieved!

My neighbour says if the dog gets a shock it will serve him right. He
is as fed up about the dog getting over into my garden as I am and he
has raised the fence with boards but the dog can still climb over. At
least he won't damage my pond now. Apparently his children won't let
him get rid of the dog, much as he would like to.

BTW, my CCTV showed a fox getting a shock last night so it appears
they cannot sense the electricity from a distance. There were three
foxes last night so they are back again in force (groan!). Presumably
they will become even more active as Spring approaches?

Doug.

They're at their worst when they have cubs to feed. *Ime, when a dog
has once touched an electric fence, it steers well clear always. Each
of ours did it precisely once and refused to even approach the area
after that. *And our own dog seems to know that the chickens are off
limits, even when they're running around outside their enclosure. *They
enjoy nothing more than scratching around the compost heap or laying
eggs in a bamboo thicket!
--

Don't the chickens get shocks?

They don't seem to but they do keeep clear of the fence, so either
they've had a tiny one once, or they're simply not interested in it.

An urban fox came into my garden during the day at 1.30pm recently. It
climbed over my neighbour's high fence on the left, ran down the alley
to the front of my house, quickly returned and seemed to stop and
taunt the dogs in the garden on the right. It then went to the end of
my garden and performed an amazing feat of jumping and climbing onto a
high shed roof before disappearing. I am beginning to wonder if even
an electric fence can keep them out.

Doug.

Not if there's something nearby to use as an aerial platform!

There is the fence but then it would probably land in the pond!

The dog came over again last night at about 6pm. He appeared to sniff
at the fence wire and touch it gently but didn't jump back. Maybe he
got a tiny shock through his fur?

Doug.