Old 29-01-2012, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Balcony watering?

On 01/29/2012 10:00 AM, Dave Hill wrote:
On Jan 29, 1:15 am, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:
As far as watering is concerned, another option is to use gel crystals
in the compost at a somewhat higher proportion than is recommended if
you expect to be away for some time.

I was wondering if something along those lines was possible.
How exactly does one set it up?
Is it just mixed with the soil in pots?
Will it really keep soil damp for 2 hot months?

[]
You just mix it into the compost/soil.
And NO
It wont keep the soil moist for a couple of months, a few days yes but
no more.

That's exactly right. This idea is, I'm sorry to say, a red herring.

I have a little experience with the balcony problem, my sense is that
other than a microdrip system the best you can do is about 3 weeks with
a large reservoir pot. It has a closed base with a membrane spaced
somewhat higher that prevents the roots from going into the reservoir
area. Still, not suitable for all plants obviously.

HTH