Old 31-01-2012, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael michael is offline

Default Propagator trays for vegetables - how many cells?

On Jan 30, 11:41*pm, wrote:
Dave Hill wrote:
I plan to grow a variety of common vegetables this year. To start my
seedlings, I'm thinking of buying some 38cm x 24cm propagator trays with
clear lids. Regarding the number of cells in each, I have a choice of: 24,
40 or 60. ?They all cost the same, so I get more cells per ? by going for
the 60-cell trays, but will the cells be big enough for starting off the
seedlings before planting out?

Thanks...

Al

yes

You don't say what veg.
60's will do for things like leeks, onions.
40's will do for a range of things
24's for larger things like marrows etc
The more info you give the better will be your answer

FWIW, for a lot of things (courgettes, melons, sweet peas, sweetcorn) I
would always use root trainers rather than modules.

My leeks, sprouts, tomatoes and peppers all got started in modules and seed
trays this weekend, though.- Hide quoted text -

Do you have a warm or cold greenhouse?I find starting tomatoes and
peppers too early can be done in a warm propagator,but they shiver
when put out into the greenhouse with cold nights coming for a couple
of months.
Also why do you start your sprouts so early?I am thinking of doing
this with the variety Wellington,which for me never seems to have a
long enough growing season.
Michael