Old 31-01-2012, 08:40 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy060289 View Post
Bob - thats some interesting data and something I will have to consider when I run a final model.

What kind of pond is it? does it contain fish or does it just act as a 24/7 water pump.

I know in my experience people tend to just run water features when they are likely to be around them but if you have a need to filter the system then obviously you need to run 24/7? What are your reasons for running 24/7?
It's common to run 24/7 to aerate the water - for example to have a little fountain going. Filters are generally run 24/7 - they're run for the pond dwellers' benefit, not the pond owner's; the only alternative might be to run them on a time switch.

It's rather nice to to walk into the garden and have everything running - for example, when we had a stream linking a higher and a lower pond, we kept the pump going 24/7, otherwise the stream would have run dry. And a water feature of that type just lacks the impact if you have to start it up specially.

On the other hand, if you have decided only to run the water features when you are there to enjoy them means that you probably are not going to switch them on while you settle to weed the veg bed.

So asking people how long they spend in the garden and using that as a surrogate for how long they'd use power in the garden isn't really going to work.