Old 31-01-2012, 07:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Alfred Falk Alfred Falk is offline

Default Adding hair to a compost pile

(Dick Adams) wrote in news:jg7ru7$95r$4
@reader1.panix.com:

Question: Is it ok to add hair to a compost pile?

I'm talking about dog hair, cat hair, and human hair.
Has anyone done it?
Does anyone have cites about it?

Thanks,

Dick
--
Richard D. Adams
Ellicott City, MD

I used to throw dog hair clippings onto my compost pile. I live in a
cool (sometimes very cold!) and I don't like to turn my piles more tha a
few times over our short summer. I found that that hair would take more
than a year to break down. It wasn't a big problem, but lumps of matted
hair were a mild annoyance so I don't bother trying anymore.
(Being organic matter, hair will break down eventually, but you will
note that users of septic tanks are advised not to flush hair, and hair
generally outlasts everything except bone in most conditions.)