Old 31-01-2012, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Add hair to a compost pile

Janet wrote in
:

In article , says...

Question: Is it ok to add hair to a compost pile?

I'm talking about dog hair, cat hair, and human hair.
Has anyone done it?

Yes, I always put pet hair in the bin I used to collect sacks of
human
whenever I went to the hairdresser (I've given that up now that the
chemical and dye content is so high).
I still do collect sacks of sheep wool waste from the shearing shed
floor, makes great compost.

Composting wool was an old North-country gardeners practice when
gardeners used to collect shoddy from the woollen mills.

Janet

Janet,
As far as I know shoddy is recycled wool.
How can that be because in the mills it was freshly woven so not recycled.
Can you help me with this strange request?

Baz