Old 01-02-2012, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Adam Funk[_3_] Adam Funk[_3_] is offline

Default Add hair to a compost pile

On 2012-01-31, Martin wrote:

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 22:24:24 +0000, Spider wrote:

No doubt it depends on the hair type, but some hair and especially human
hair persists long after death. I've certainly found hair, both human
and animal, lingering in my garden long after its cute and fluffy by
date :~/

In The Yorkshire Museum in York, there is the hair of a Roman woman
found when a Roman cemetery was excavated where the station is now.

The preservation of ancient organic matter depends very much on
the conditions it's stuck in. ISTR that anaerobic, waterlogged
conditions make it last longer (sacrifices found in bogs, for
example).