Old 01-02-2012, 10:58 PM
Doghouse Riley's Avatar
Doghouse Riley Doghouse Riley is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireCouple View Post
Hi all, am new here and this is my first post. I am trying to find some ideas as to how I can best screen the neighbouring single storey house which is built on the boundary and in particular the roof & velux windows (an area 6 - 8 feet above our patio/garden). The wall of the house is mainly covered by my 6 foot fence. I do have a photo but am not sure where this needs to go. Thank you for reading.
Your options may be limited by local planning rules as to the height of fences you can build.

You could put some trellis up on the fence, similar to this which I have between the corner of our house and the "garden side" of our garage, our drive is between this and the low fence between our property and our neighbour's. This brings the height of the fence to eight feet. As it's not on the boundary this is acceptable. If there were legal objections to yours, you might have to take it down.

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/6097/pict0117m.jpg

You could however, make a similar construction say of all trellis to more or less any height you like, if you set it back from the "party fence" by several feet, as a garden feature.

Or you could plant something like leylandii along the fence, but by the time it reached the height which would achieve what you wanted, you might have forgotten about the problem.
"I don't mind if you don't like my manners!
I don't like 'em myself! They're pretty bad.
I grieve over them on long winter evenings."