View Single Post
  #3   Report Post  
Old 01-02-2012, 11:52 PM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghouse Riley View Post

You could put some trellis up on the fence, similar to this which I have between the corner of our house and the "garden side" of our garage, our drive is between this and the low fence between our property and our neighbour's. This brings the height of the fence to eight feet. As it's not on the boundary this is acceptable. If there were legal objections to yours, you might have to take it down.

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/6097/pict0117m.jpg

You could however, make a similar construction say of all trellis to more or less any height you like, if you set it back from the "party fence" by several feet, as a garden feature.

Or you could plant something like leylandii along the fence, but by the time it reached the height which would achieve what you wanted, you might have forgotten about the problem.
Thank you for your response. I do like your picture and I did think about trellis on top of the fence with climbers but was concerned that the climbers might start climbing up the neighbouring property.

I could install a second fence but my living room window is only about four feet from the boundary fence and I wouldnt want to block out any light. I have also been thinking about a single pergola set in between the boundary and my living room window which mightn't be too bad. The neighbours house is 40 feet long starting at the back of my house and running alongside my patio and garden, so its a big area to screen.

Leylandii are out of the question as the neighbouring house is on the boundary and I would hate the roots to cause a problem.

I will try and learn tomorrow how to post an image!

Thanks again.