Old 02-02-2012, 11:32 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireCouple View Post
Thank you for your response. I do like your picture and I did think about trellis on top of the fence with climbers but was concerned that the climbers might start climbing up the neighbouring property.

I could install a second fence but my living room window is only about four feet from the boundary fence and I wouldnt want to block out any light. I have also been thinking about a single pergola set in between the boundary and my living room window which mightn't be too bad. The neighbours house is 40 feet long starting at the back of my house and running alongside my patio and garden, so its a big area to screen.

Leylandii are out of the question as the neighbouring house is on the boundary and I would hate the roots to cause a problem.

I will try and learn tomorrow how to post an image!

Thanks again.
If you're worried about them looking out of their windows into your living room window, probably the only effective solution will be net curtains.

But if you're more worried about the view from your living room window, you could consider providing a focal point rather than a complete screen. They idea is to merely break up the view, rather than to screen it out but to draw the eye away from next door and in to something attractive in your own garden.

We have a view of next door's vehicles and wheelie bins. It's not practical to plant a screen of trees (that terrace is virtually the only part of our garden which is not in the shade), so we've extended the stone wall upwards with a row of heavy wooden posts with a rail along the top. At the moment I'm growing ipomoeas and sweet peas while I consider more permanent options. We can still see the vehicles and bins, but we don't notice them because the eye is drawn to the more attractive flowers.