Old 02-02-2012, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod[_5_] Rod[_5_] is offline

Default Privacy Screening Ideas

On Feb 1, 10:58*pm, Doghouse Riley Doghouse.Riley.
wrote:
CheshireCouple;949031 Wrote:

Hi all, am new here and this is my first post. *I am trying to find some
ideas as to how I can best screen the neighbouring single storey house
which is built on the boundary and in particular the roof & velux
windows (an area 6 - 8 feet above our patio/garden). *The wall of the
house is mainly covered by my 6 foot fence. *I do have a photo but am
not sure where this needs to go. *Thank you for reading.

Your options may be limited by local planning rules as to the height of
fences you can build.

You could put some trellis up on the fence, similar to this which I have
between the corner of our house and the "garden side" of our garage,
our drive is between this and the low fence between our property *and
our neighbour's. *This brings the height of the fence to eight feet. As
it's not on the boundary this is acceptable. If there were legal
objections to yours, you might have to take it down.

[image:http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/6097/pict0117m.jpg]

You could however, make a similar construction say of all trellis to
more or less any height you like, if you set it back from the "party
fence" by several feet, as a garden feature.

Or you could plant something like leylandii *along the fence, but by the
time it reached the height which would achieve what you wanted, you
might have forgotten about the problem.

--
Doghouse Riley

Yes, and by then they'll have another bigger problem.

Kay's thoughts on breaking up the offending view or making some kind
of distraction like a focal point are more practical and usually less
obvious and more pleasing to the eye.
A solid block is usually too obviously an attempt to hide something
and is often itself not a very pretty sight.

Rod