Old 04-02-2012, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim xzy Jim xzy is offline

Default Low-growing rapid-spreading ground cover for poor, dry, stony, alkaline soil. (Sunny but windy, Southern plot)?

In article , Sacha
On 2012-02-04 15:48:07 +0000, Jim xyz said:

I'm looking for a reasonably good-looking low rapid-spreading
ground cover for poor, dry, stony, alkaline soil. Some areas of my
sunny but windy south coastal plot, consist af a soil which is
about 90% white limestone dust with only about 10% organic matter.
I'd like something that spreads quickly but is also easy to keep
under control. If it keeps it's leaves year-round, that would be
most suitable. Any suggestions?

Have a look at Concolvulus cneorum - very pretty, low-growing plant.

Also rather tender, but that may not matter. I would tend to go
for one of the thymes or Helianthemum. Or a mixture.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Yes, some of the Med plants that grow on poor ground might do the job.
He said on the south coast, so the Convolvulus should be okay. It's
such a pretty plant.

I do very much like the look of the Concolvulus cneorum. Thank you for the
suggestion! Does it spread reasonably quickly?

Jim