Old 20-04-2003, 05:08 PM
Shiva

Default Keeping a Messy Garden

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 10:29:41 -0800, Melinda Tennielle
wrote:

I love this thread... I wish the other posters lived by me! My next-door
neighboors seem to be flower-phobic. They have an expanse of green lawn
and a wide gravel driveway, which the husband sprays with weed-killer
every couple of months.

Eeeyyu, I hate this look.

[...]

And meanwhile, my passiflora is
reaching over the fence, racing the honeysuckle to get to the other side
first. I try to train the vines back inward, but they do follow the sun,
so it always looks like they're threatening the sterile domain next door

I love my neighbors on the south. When I had the new bed put in , I
wanted to grow some roses right up against our shared chainlink fence.
Some are big 'uns, so I knew they would spill over eventually, and
some are climbers, and, well, that's kind of the point of climbers. So
I met the female half over the fence and showed her photos of what I
had in mind. She said she liked my choices, so I went ahead and
planted. There is ivy on the fence that we both agreed to pull and
both took half-hearted stabs at pulling, then left it alone. In the
end, I decided it will look pretty as a backdrop for the roses, so
I'll TRY to keep up with it just to the point that it won't strangle
the roses. This lady is very laid back. She once watched voles (or
something) pull some of her hostas right into their holes, POP, Bugs
Bunny style, no you see 'em now you don't, and she actually laughed.
She uses Permatil in her planting holes now.