Old 06-02-2012, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim xzy Jim xzy is offline

Default Too late to dig stable manure into veg beds?

I've recently converted part of the wild field that was my back garden,
into vegetable beds. I dug in a fair amount of last year's compost into the
clayey soil, but I think the soil still needs more organic matter, as it is
still rather sticky. It's also very alkaline due to the limestone shale
substrate.

I have just been given a good quantity of horse stable manure. As there is
still a good few weeks before I start planting, will I be OK to dig the
manure into the soil without composting it? It appears to be predominantly
part-digested hay with some urine-soaked hay mixed in. It all appears to be
a good few weeks old. It's not like the well-digested horse droppings that
you tyipcally find on the road where horse-riders have been.

TIA

Jim