Old 06-02-2012, 03:52 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Pond Heater

I won one of those black 100 watt heaters in a drawing 5 years ago. This
year it literally went belly up. Water got into it. We had been having some
freezing temps and I'd periodically would go out and check and I could tell
it was working because of the water being liquid right at the edge of it.

Two weeks ago when I checked, it was upside down and water logged. I have
shade cloth over the pond and we had had 6-8" of snow prior to finding it
like this. All I can think is the snow/ice on the shade cloth pushed the
heater further into the water than it should go and water got in where the
cord inserts into the plastic ring.

I do plan to get a new one. Anyone know of any good end of winter season
sales for such? ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us