Old 07-02-2012, 06:38 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default Removing 1.5 Acres of Bamboo in Towson, MD

On Feb 6, 8:54*am, Elliott P wrote:
Greetings all. A new property of my family's is covered by a massive
stand of running bamboo. The lot is six acres rectangular, where about
*one and a half* acres of the total acreage is covered by a very dense
stand of running bamboo. It is 350 feet long deep at its longest
dimension The plants have been there for decades, as the property was
allowed to fall into a state of disrepair. It is our intention to
restore the property, inside and out.

Options for removal I've seen generally target small areas. However
this is a much bigger problem! My first thought is to hire someone
with a bulldozer to come push it all down, and then put it all in a
commercial wood chipper. This could get expensive though. What else
can we do? What problems does my scenario present? Hiring a panda bear
would probably not go over well with the neighborhood.

The property is in Towson, Maryland.

Thank you in advance.

check this out

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/growgreen...oo_running.pdf

http://www.ag.auburn.edu/hort/landscape/bamboo.html

Depending on the species,
your bamboo forest could yield 50,000 to 100,000 pounds of dry timber
per acre.

From second link.......

ERADICATING BAMBOO.
Bamboo can be eradicated by several methods:

1. Graze it with cattle during the summer. If the plants are so large
that cattle cannot bend them over to graze the leaves, they should be
cut and the cattle allowed to graze the new plants as they emerge.

2. Cut the old plants in winter or early spring and the new shoots as
they emerge in the spring and summer. This will require cutting
several times.

3. Spray the area with a herbicide. Of the several tested at Auburn,
Sodium TCA (sodium salt of trichloroaecetic acid) gave best success.
This should be sprayed on the soil over the areas in which the bamboo
is growing at a rate of 50 pounds active ingredient in at least 100
gallons of water per acre. It is preferable to apply it in late winter
or early spring before new growth starts. Rain will carry the chemical
down to the root system and it will be absorbed. This will sterilize
the soil for about 90 days, so nothing should be planted on the area
until about June.

http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/p...oup=71&level=s

You can also kill bamboo by flooding the area and keeping it flooded
for a couple weeks.
I killed a very small area of bamboo (~2' x 2') by flooding.

Sounds like you have a fair amount of work ahead.

cheers
Bob