Old 04-02-2012, 07:36 AM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy
harry harry is offline

Default I have a question about Downtown Abbey.

On Feb 3, 10:16*pm, Tater Cole wrote:
Downtown Abbey is a pretty good program on BBC America. However,
actual research suggests that British aristocracy treated most of the
domestic class like animals. In fact, I believe some hunting dogs had
it much better than your typical laundry maid. Yes, the Butler and
Housekeeper were treated with respect, but still, seems like this
program is quite inaccurate regarding the Victorian domestic class.
Maybe it's simply liberal Brit revisionist history at work again,
through the auspices of 'high entertainment' by the BBC.

I knew several people who were in "service" as it is called.
Back then,they were treated like shit.
Badly paid with cramped filthy cold accommodation.
But everything was tough back then, everyone was treated like shit not
just in the UK.
Worst of all was the USA where immigrants were lured by false promises
and then put in sweatshops etc.

Where service exists now (pretty limited) life is a lot better.

Before WW2, even quite small households would have a "housekeeper" at
least. Even terrace houses.
About 25% of the population was employed as servants of some sort.