Old 20-04-2003, 05:44 PM
paghat

Default Redbud question

In article , "BiG Orange" @ wrote:

I put three or four redbud starts into the ground three summers ago,
finally got the deer to leave them alone (fencing), and now three trunks
are growing up quite nicely. The trunks are now about an inch thick,
and are about four inches apart. Should I move a couple of them? Or is
it OK to leave them as they are and have them grow up all squashed
together? I don't want to do anything that will hurt them, as they were
brought from my grandmother's garden several states away (I'm in
Maryland). Thanks for any advice.

I know that Red Pansy Redbuds are not supposed to be moved once planted, not
sure if the same applies to the larger species. I have a Redbud my daughter
got at school that is in a pot, it's about 3 feet tall now and looks like a
twig. How fast do these boogers grow? It has really taken off since spring.

I was just yesterday looking at some 8-foot sappling Red Pansy Redbuds in
bud, & aren't those just the pleasantest things.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"