Old 20-04-2003, 05:48 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] BENEFICIAL INSECTS - Least-toxic controls

And another good link for beneficial insects.

http://www.metrokc.gov/hazwaste/hous.../goodbugs.html

The reason I started to look for these was that my trees are
suddenly swarming with little fast-moving, red mites. I was
pretty sure, since they were darting around like crazy that they
were predatory mites (plant sucking mites are SLOOOOOW moving)
but I wanted to check.

They're good bugs!!!

However, look as I can, except for a little whitefly on my privet
(what's new?), and a batch of aphids on an as-yet-unknown shrub I
dug last fall from my swamp, I haven't found what they're eating.
It may be a new hatch and they'll disperse elsewhere. I have had
a few large scale on some of my azalea, but I don't think they
are food for these little things. The scale is easily
squishable, through.

BTW, for you folks in OZ, there are a lot of good bug pages by
various educational institutions (look for U of Queensland pages)
down there.

Here in the USA, look for pages from the Univ. of VA, U of FLA,
U. of Mass. Conn. U, U of Iowa, and others. These are all
land-grant schools with big Ag. department and state extension
headquarters.

As usual, when I find a new hatch of some tiny creepy-crawly, I
get all scratchy feeling, though I don't find any on me. ;-)

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++