Old 07-02-2012, 06:50 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy
mikeos mikeos is offline

Default I have a question about Downtown Abbey.

On 07/02/2012 14:46, Bob Hobden wrote:
"harry" wrote ...

If you are comparing how they were treated then to how you think now
it's irrelevant. I say that as the general population of this Country
were living in total poverty especially in the Cities like London. More
than one family to a room, and they were big families, one toilet
between hundreds, no washing facilities, just like some of the worst
shantytowns of today.

One toilet? they were lucky - We lived for three months in a paper bag
in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean
the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill,
fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we
got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.