Old 08-02-2012, 03:40 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

Default Removing 1.5 Acres of Bamboo in Towson, MD

On 2/7/12 2:42 PM, Kay Lancaster wrote:
On Tue, 7 Feb 2012 08:00:32 -0800 (PST), Harry K wrote:
On Feb 7, 6:21 am, N8N wrote:

I don't think it is native anywhere on the continent. but then I hae
been wrong once or twice in my life.

There are 3 species of Arundinaria native to the US, all in the SE/Appalachia
area: A. appalachiana, A. gigantea, and A. tecta. That's all we've got for
native bamboos. There are others in N America, in Mexico and Central America.
Mexico, for instance, has 8 genera and 35 species.

If you want to know mo http://herbarium.usu.edu/webmanual/

Kay

Actually, the Arundinoideae are not bamboos. They are reeds. None of
the bamboo genera fall within that subfamily.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see