Old 08-02-2012, 02:33 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

Default I have a question about Downtown Abbey.

In article ,
Thomas R. Kettler wrote:
In article
,
Devils Advocaat wrote:

On Feb 8, 2:14*am, Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
Disculpa Senora Devils Advocaat, pero did you really mime the following
* on 2/7/2012 6:25 PM???

On Feb 7, 10:58 pm, "The Undead Edward M. *wrote:
"Devils *wrote

snip

Why the snippage?

The first electronic programmable computer - the Colossus - was
British built in 1943.

The first American computer of the same sort wasn't fully operational
until 1945.

Okay, "useful versions" applies here.

Indeed, the Brits had a working system before the Americans.

Bullshit - have you heard of the EINAC? It was developed at Penn State
University, in my home sate of Pennsylvania. *That was teh first
computer that actually worked. I'm not sure what this Collosal that you
talk about is - a quick check on Wikipedia reveals nothing about it.

ENIAC wasn't operational until 1946.

The computer I mentioned was called Colossus not Collosal.

You will find the Mark 1 Colossus was up and running in 1943.

And the Mark 2 in 1944.

How do you classify Babbage's machine then?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Babbage

Just to add to this flame war, the first stored program computer was
British (the Manchester Baby) and the first practical one (EDSAC I).
The transpondians didn't catch up until the first commercial one,
in 1951, where Univac beat LEO by 6 months.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.