Old 08-02-2012, 03:53 PM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Tree for front garden

On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 12:07:39 +0000, MJM40
wrote:

Hi all, new here.

I've been in my house for 2 years, and was a complete novice, now after
2 years or ripping out, re planting, hard landscaping, am getting quite
good!

Now, the front garden. Pulled out all the rubbish last few weekends, and
will be lawning it all. Proceeding nicely with clay soil and current
frosts!

I want to put a tree in the front garden, and always wanted (from the
age of about 7!) a christmas type tree so i can put lights on. Now a
fully fledged adult (!) and here is my chance.

Front garden is about 9M x 3.5M. Don't want the tree to outgrow the
height of the house - circa 4.5M to eaves.

Any ideas, have looked at so many online, but conflicting information
and now getting lost!

Not necessarily a conical shaped traditional christmas tree, but
something pine like, with a bit of all year round interest hence a
traditional xmas tree not being the answer - anyhow, suggestions really
appreciated.

You don't seem to know what you want, and you don't have enough space
for a standard tree. Christmas trees are traditionally conical
conifers, however with your small yard I'd suggest a semi dwarf
variety. Besides with standard trees it won't be five years and you'd
not be able to reach the top for decorating without a ladder, and that
only for another year or two as trees grow wider as well as taller. I
suggest this intermediary sized tree but feel free to browse the other
conifers:
http://www.iselinursery.com/photopag...aNorthStar.htm