Old 08-02-2012, 05:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Snag Snag is offline

Default It's about time ...

General Schvantzkoph wrote:
On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 09:01:08 -0600, Snag wrote:

For me to get started with the plants I want to set out at the end of
March . Last year and the year before I tried those peat disc things
(wet 'em and they expand into a little barrel shape) with absolutely
dismal results . This year I'm going to try something different ,
using potting soil or starter mix .
I have a decent plastic tray but I need to divide it into
compartments . I
was considering shoebox-type cardboard , or maybe some plexiglass
strips . Or I could just go buy some small plastic cups and put
holes in the bottom for drainage .
How do y'all start your sets ? I'll be doing tomatoes , peppers ,
marigolds , and maybe some zucchini and cantalopes . I usually do the
stuff with bigger seeds directly to the ground ...

I use plastic pots, I have a million of them left over from plants
that I've bought at garden centers over the years.

Unless you have a greenhouse don't jump the gun, if you start the
plants too early they will just keel over and die on you. I make that
mistake over and over again. Especially when we have a severe winter
I want to start growing something so I start a bunch of plants in
early March and they always die on me long before I can plant them in
the ground in late May or early June. I'm not feeling the urge this
year because we haven't had a winter at all in New England. Aside
from the storm in the fall that wiped out our power for a week we
haven't had a single snowflake and the temperatures have been well
above freezing.

I'm in Memphis Tn. , in zone 7a/7b . Usually by the end of March we're
past the danger of a freeze , though it can happen . I'm figgering on
planting seeds in a couple of weeks , which will give me about 6 weeks until
they're ready to plant .
--
Snag
Learning keeps