Old 08-02-2012, 07:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
The Cook The Cook is offline

Default It's about time ...

On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 11:07:45 -0600, "Snag" wrote:

The Cook wrote:
On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 09:01:08 -0600, "Snag" wrote:

For me to get started with the plants I want to set out at the end
of March . Last year and the year before I tried those peat disc
things (wet 'em and they expand into a little barrel shape) with
absolutely dismal results . This year I'm going to try something
different , using potting soil or starter mix .
I have a decent plastic tray but I need to divide it into
compartments . I was considering shoebox-type cardboard , or maybe
some plexiglass strips . Or I could just go buy some small plastic
cups and put holes in the bottom for drainage .
How do y'all start your sets ? I'll be doing tomatoes , peppers ,
marigolds , and maybe some zucchini and cantalopes . I usually do
the stuff with bigger seeds directly to the ground ...

These are what I usually use for starting seeds. I start seeds in the
72 cell ones and then transplant into the 36 cell ones. Right now I
have 5 of the 72 cell ones almost full. I need to check my supply of
36s.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...=2,44713,40757

Those are really nice trays , but I'm looking for a cheaper alternative .
The clear plastic cups that sell for like a buck a hundred are more where
I'm looking . Cardboard and plex I already have , just need to cut it into
strips and notch it for interlocks .

I consider these to be a reasonable value. I bought these in Jan 2007
and have used them every year since -- this is beginning my 6th year.
I paid $15.50 for 3 of the 32 cell ones and $14.50 for the 72 cell
ones. I figure that over the past 5 years they have they have cost me
$1 per tray per year. I have 6 of each size. They are still in good
shape and I don't have to fiddle with setting them up.

Right now I am using 312 of small the cells to start plants. Then
they will go into the 32 cell trays as they get larger. And that is
just the beginning of the year. As I move things to the larger trays
I then reuse the smaller ones. It is going to take about 4 or 5 of
the 32 cell trays to transplant my 72 seedling beets. Each seed
produces anywhere from 1 to 4 plants. With care I can separate them
and get 150+ plants from my 72 seeds.

I start most of my plants in the greenhouse so I know how many plants
I have without having to replant except for weather and critters.
Either of those are possible regardless of how the plants are started.
I do direct sow beans and corn but not much else.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills